Friday, October 5, 2012

Marathon Pants


Yesterday I bought 2 pairs of pants, 7 shirts and 5 pairs of socks.

Before you judge, I should tell you that I got all of the above for $280, which means with “Carrie’s Law of Averages” that I basically paid $20 for each item. $20 for a pair of Paige designer jeans? I would say that’s a steal.

I admit that I have been on a little bit of a shopping binge these past few weeks. But with the weather getting colder, it just makes me want a fresh wardrobe to walk into fall and say, “What up falling leaves? Like my new boots?” This happens every season. Foreshadow: similar post to come in the Spring about my new wedges.

But every girl knows from watching too many Lifetime movies that with every binge comes a purge, and this week I decided to purge. I am a little bit of a hoarder when it comes to clothes, so I had to start gradually.

I started the purge first with what I like to call “The Camis and Jammies.” The camis were easy. No real attachment to those little guys. But the jammies were a different story. Can I just say that getting rid of t-shirts is more difficult than you would think…Remember that time I played kickball? Rode the rail? Ran a marathon (ok, a 5K)? There is a t-shirt for that. Taco Mac Passport Club – no way am I parting with that one. So I resulted in purging a few t-shirts I got for free from random events like concerts and Cubs games. Success. Moving to another segment of comfies – jammie pants. This is where I got a little emotional. I have officially purged my all-time favorite pair of jammie pants that I have had for 8 years. 

M-Co, I know these are your favorite. 
NOTE: These pants are not black, as they appear.  


This is the actual color of the pants. 
Annie - I KNOW you remember these.
These pants….sigh…have seen it all. Since Dance Marathon 2005, they have been through my college graduation, Sunday Fundays, vacations, breakups, sleepovers and probably some grocery shopping trips. They have lived in 7 different houses in 4 different cities. They lost their drawstring in year 3 after a dryer mishap, but were quickly brought back to life with a handy black ribbon and a safety pin. I know they look black in the picture, but most of my friends can vouch that they have somewhat of an unknown green color to them now.

After parting with those puppies, the rest was pretty easy. Some work tops, old suits, dresses I never wear, impulse purchases of most anything under $15. My sister, Kim, is moving to Chicago this month and will be starting a new corporate job, so I actually feel really good about being able to pass these things down to her. Everything is still in great condition, but over the years my shoes have gotten higher, which means my pants and skirts have gotten shorter, and so I think my 5’2” sis may have better use for my flood pants.

This 5' x 5' x 2' pile isn't even all of it.
The time has come. The Dance Marathon pants have officially been thrown in the garbage. But I better not hear anybody call them trash. 




4 comments:

  1. I love those pants. I shed a tear for them. And I also LOLed. They def an unknown green color. Hahahhah. I hope you're not trying to give them to Kim too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still sad I missed your pants last weekend! Can't wait to see them in the ville!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the Fremd sweatshirt? Did that survive???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the work clothes!! And thank you for not including those pants in the bag.

    ReplyDelete